The Cathedral and Belltower
of St. Martin
The Volto Santo, Ilaria del Carretto, Last Supper by Tintoretto and newly restored artworks
of the Cathedral
The treasures, historic textiles and antique scrolls displayed in our museum
The Church of Saints
Giovanni and Reparata
The evocative archaeological complex with mosaics, baptistery and 9th century crypt
Paolo Guinigi, Lord of Lucca, commissioned the funerary monument to commemorate his wife after her death in 1405. This 15th century sculptural masterpiece was realized by Jacopo della Quercia, an innovative artist from Siena capable of fusing late gothic elegance with emerging humanism.
ST. MARTIN CATHEDRAL
The Crown of the
Created by the goldsmith Ambrogio Giannoni of Massa, the crown was placed on the Volto Santo’s head in 1655 during a lavish ceremony which lasted three days. It continues to be used to dress the relic on the feast day of Santa Croce.
The monumental and archaeological Complex of Saints Giovanni and Reparata guards some of the most valuable testimonies of the history of Lucca from the Roman period up to the present day, the product of an important excavation campaign and restoration works beginning in the '70s.
THE CHURCH OF SAINTS GIOVANNI AND REPARATA
Subscribe to our Newsletter.
News and updating from Cathedral Museum
*only italian version
News from Cathedral Complex *only italian version